Monday, January 21, 2008

ISPLS Convention

Another year, another convention done. Maybe I'm wrong but this seemed like the smoothest running convention yet. Apparently, Doug and Dianne have done these things before and the two chapters who hosted seemed to have everything under control. A big pat on the back to everyone involved!

A few disturbing things occurred to me during the course of the convention, though. With attendance in the 700+ range, does it bother anyone else that we can only get maybe 80 people at the membership meeting? Granted, some of the attendees don't have voting privileges but we were discussing revisions to the Constitution of the organization for pete's sake! It's the framework for the entire Society. Another discussion focused around the state of the Purdue program. I'd think that more people would be interested. I understand that everyone has to prioritize their schedule during the day so I only assume that those not there had something more important to do at that time. I'd love to hear from others what they did instead of attending the membership meeting.

Same thing with the banquet. Yes, it was better attended - probably because it included food - but the percentage of attendees at the banquet was probably less than 25%. If you're staying at the hotel for the evening, why not go? And for those that live in Central Indiana - is it too convenient to simply head home instead of waiting around for the banquet?

I hope that you continue to read this blog. No, it won't be about surveying all the time. Who knows - I may include sports, life with kids, music, business ramblings or any other myriad of topics. If you have any thought-provoking topics you think may be interesting, let me know.

No comments: