Monday, January 28, 2008

Welcome to the mid 40's!

"Welcome to the mid 40's!" was the first statement out of my doctor's mouth last Wednesday. I knew whatever conversation followed wasn't going to be to my liking.

I had had a stiff neck and some pain in my lower neck/upper back before but this one was a little different. The others had gone away in a couple of days. This one had been going on for two weeks and my wife was getting tired of me complaining about it so she called the doctor and made an appointment for me to see him.

These things happen as we get older, the doctor said. We? We? Who's the we we're talking about - I'm not getting older. He went on to explain that I had probably suffered a slipped or herniated disk in my C6 or C7 (whatever that means) and that I had three options to try to fix it. The first sounded to my liking - take some medicine to relieve the pain. The next was to go to physical therapy and see if they could get me back in alignment. And finally, the third was to have some huge needle stuck through my neck and basically deaden the area so I wouldn't feel it. Needless to say, the needle through the neck thing didn't sound so pleasant.

I'll be starting physical therapy soon.

Great. Can't wait till my next appointment with the doctor. I can hear it now:

"Welcome to the 50's!" Yippee.

No comments: