Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Do Unto Others

I frequent a surveying message board and mostly lurk around but post from time to time when I feel I have something to add to a thread. It seems like about once a week or so, a surveyor posts a message about low-ballers who throw out ridiculous fees that in no way can cover their true expenses. The thread normally goes on about how we're a profession and should be paid accordingly. I readily admit that I'm right on board with this thinking.

What I don't get is that some of these same posters will then start another thread about needing tax or legal advice and mention that they're looking for the cheapest accountant or lawyer around. Yep, that's right - they're looking for the low-baller!

Why on earth would we complain about not being treated as professionals when the public is basing their choice of surveyor on fee only and then turn around and try to treat other professionals the same way?

To me, I want the best accountant I can get to help our company make as much money as possible. If the accountant charges a fair fee, I don't have a problem with it. Heck, I WANT my accountant to stay in business!

I guess the whole point of the post is that to be respected as a professional, we have to show the same respect to other professions.

No comments: