Friday, February 15, 2008

The Heartbreak of Psoriasis (er, I mean parenting)

It's heartbreaking for me as a parent to see one of my kids come to the realization that their dreams are probably not going to come true for them.

I remember as a youngster that I would spend hours outside shooting hoops (because that's what we do in Indiana) just knowing that I was going to be a professional basketball player. I'd count down the seconds and heave a shot just before the buzzer sounded. A few times I actually made it and was the hero of the game. Of course, when I missed it was because I had been fouled and went to the free throw line to win the game.

It's probably because she's my youngest or maybe because she's my only girl but my daugther, Libby, has recently realized that she's not going to become a professional dancer. She's a good dancer but not a great dancer, technically sound but not one that draws your eye in a group.

I guess I should be happy that I've no longer got "kids" in the house and they've all become great young people but there's a part of me that loved it when they still had big dreams, believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

I hope there are still big dreams ahead for each of them.

No comments: