Friday, April 25, 2008

Radio Daze

Like many of you, I really enjoy listening to the radio on my way into work in the morning and back home again in the evening. It seems to keep me in a relaxed mood.

As a creature of habit, I normally turn on the station my kids call "the Oldies station" which I correctly point out that it's classic rock, not oldies. I mean, it's Journey, not Guy Lombardo.

Anyway, over the past month I've been trying something new. Each day when I get in my car, I hit the scan button and let it move to the next audible station. That's the one I listen to for the day. It doesn't matter whether it's talk radio, student radio, Christian music, rap, whatever - that's what I listen to for the day. If I have a meeting and need to drive somewhere, that's what I listen to that day.

I've found out that I've started to develop a little more of a balanced opinion of things when I listen to varying viewpoints on many of the same topics by doing this.

Yes, some days are better than others. Today, for example, was Radio Disney and I was in my car a little more than normal traveling to meetings. I'm pretty sure they only have about eight songs that they play because I know I heard some version of Cruella DeVille from 101 Dalmatians at least four times today.

Anyway, try if yourself for a month and let me know what you think.

No comments: