Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Financial sense (or is it cents?)

As most of you have figured out by now, I'm what you probably call "old fashioned." Other words to describe me would probably be frugal or thrifty.

Sometimes I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio. For those of you unfamiliar with Dave, he gives financial advice to people who need some major help. I think part of the reason I listen to it is to make myself feel better about my own personal financial situation.

A typical caller would be something like this: "Hi Dave. I've got a situation I'd like to have some advice on. I've currently got an older car that is worth about $3,000. I owe about $10,000 on it. I drive a lot and need a reliable car so I'm looking at a $50,000 BMW. I don't think I can qualify for a loan for the car because I've got about $25,000 that I owe on four different credit cards and haven't made a payment on them in several months because I only bring home about $1,000 per month. I've been at my job for 30 years and have built up my 401(k) to almost $70,000. I was thinking about cashing in most of my 401(k), paying off my old car and paying cash for the BMW. With what's left over, I can start to pay down the credit cards. What do you think, Dave?"

Dave, to his credit, normally very calmly explains the stupidity of the plan.

I guess I don't get what some people are thinking regarding their finances. When I was growing up, I was taught that if you didn't have the money to buy something, you didn't buy it. It's really not a very hard concept. Why is this so difficult for so many people?

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Funny you should blog about this now. In the local paper this week, there is a list of bankruptcies. People who owe $200,000 with a credit of maybe $1,500...go figure!!! I guess I'm old fashion too. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't own it! Great post Dan!