Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meeting half way

I've been discussing with the surveying community lately the need for our profession to develop better relationships with other professionals like engineers, architects, GIS folks, etc. It seems that, as a group, we tend to wait until they come to us needing something that we have expertise in. I have a fear that some of these groups will develop their skills in these areas that are currently (at least in my mind) the practice of surveying.

It leads me to my very favorite current saying: "You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."

In case you're wondering, the saying was not by a person but rather from a very wise bear named Winnie The Pooh.

Over the past month or so, I've been trying very hard to go more than halfway to reach out to potential clients as well as our current clients. With the economic turmoil, it's a little difficult to determine if it's working yet but I'm going to stick with this strategy for the long haul. I'll let you know how it works for me.

No comments: