Thursday, June 18, 2009

If It Doesn't Look Right.....

There have been a few times that we're completing a survey and when I determine the boundaries of properties based on deeds, I miss every single fence and other evidence of the boundaries on the property. Normally, it's some stupid mistake made by yours truly. However, when it doesn't appear that I've made a math mistake, I still try to go back and try to see why the visible evidence seems to be different than my solution. In 22 years of doing this, there's almost always a good reason why the long-standing visible evidence is correct.

Here's a story from Nashua, New Hampshire where a surveyor had a similar situation and has now upset an entire neighborhood. Without giving a legal opinion, I'm going to guess that the fences in the neighborhood are in their correct location and the surveyor has simply missed something. If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't - so check your work before upsetting the neighbors!

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090617/BUSINESS/306179958/-1/XML15

No comments: